Crochet Basics // Flower in a Square

This was something I saw out and about one day... 
I'm ever one for "I could do that..." so with a bit of trial and error, worked out the below. I think this really benefits from a contrast centre, to show off the flower pattern... And something a bit different with the open space around the flower.

If you have any amazing flower patterns, do let me know and I'll add the link! I'm certainly going to experiment with a few more ideas...


Next time I'll try this one in cotton, for a cleaner finish and more obvious / defined flower...

I used 4ply Merino and a 4mm hook. This pattern is in UK terms...


Chain 6 and join to create a ring. I used dark pink...


First round 
Chain 3 (that counts as your first treble), then treble 15 into the ring. Slip stitch to join to the 3rd chain of your first chain 3 you made.

2nd round - I continued with the dark pink, but you could change colour here for contrast colour petals. 
Chain 5 (think of this as 3+2), then treble into the same stitch. Next *skip a stitch and treble into the next one instead, chain 2 and treble into the same stitch*. Repeat this * 6 more times, creating a kind of zig zag pattern, then slip stitch to join into the 3rd chain of the first chain 5 you made. 

3rd round - this round will work the spaces. I suggest sticking to the same colour as round 2.
Slip stitch into your next chain space. Chain 3 (counts as 1st treble), treble 1, chain 2, treble 2 all into this same space. Slip stitch into the next (single) space. *Treble 2, chain 2, treble 2 into the next space, then slip stitch into the next single space* repeat this all the way around to complete the round, then slip stitch to join into the 3rd chain of the first chain 3 you made.
Your flower is completed!

4th round - as noted, I recommend changing colour at this point, to show off the flower... I used off white.
Start in one of the chain spaces, that makes the "point" of the petal. 

Chain 3 (1st treble), treble 1 into this space. This will be the side.
Then chain 3,  treble 2 into the next petal "point" space, chain 4, treble 2 into the same space - this is the the first corner. *Chain 3, treble 2 into the next space (side), chain 3, treble 2 into the next space, chain 4, treble 2 into the same space (corner), *repeat 2 more times to complete the round and then slip stitch into the 3rd chain of the first chain 3 you made to join off the round.

And you have your pretty flower in a square! 
Now what are you going to make with these....?

Labels: , , , , ,