Paint it // Pen & Watercolour Ampersand

Continuing with my watercolour experimentation (see here if you're thinking about having a go), I decided that as a move on from my dabbling, something that could actually fill a frame and go on a wall would be good!
So, in the controlled bounds of an ampersand... here goes...
Free tutorial for your own artwork worth of framing. Uses Watercolour and Pen, from Sarita Creative



Please excuse the grainy iPhone pics!

What you need:
Watercolour paper / block - I used Fabriano Hot Pressed Traditional White 300gsm 100% cotton
Watercolours (I used an assortment of Cotman colours)
Brushes
A black waterproof ink pen - I used a Kuretake Zig Drawing pen 0.4


Find your ampersand shape - I recommend googling ampersand and finding something that takes your fancy... trace it onto your paper....
Outline it in your black ink pen and start doodling to fill it in...

 In usual fashion, I went wherever my fancy took me, but if you're not so comfortable with that, maybe make a practice version on some less expensive paper first!
As you can see above, within each section I did keep some symmetry, or near symmetry, which I think gave the overall pattern some balance...

Next, start filling in with your watercolours...
Yes, this really is kind of like colouring in for grown ups!


 My idea was to really use a full spectrum, but you might like to try something more tonal.
I did keep certain colour palettes to certain areas, based on the idea of a rainbow working left to right... so the bottom left section contained reds and oranges and yellows.. through the central section greens, blues and a little purple and lastly, to the right more purples and pinks..
 I also left some areas white, as I found it made the colours surrounding the area pop...

Frame it and feel like the artist you've just proven yourself to be...
Free tutorial for your own artwork worth of framing. Uses Watercolour and Pen, from Sarita Creative

Free tutorial for your own artwork worth of framing. Uses Watercolour and Pen, from Sarita Creative

Enjoy!

Labels: , , , , , , ,