Inspiration // Try painting in Watercolour

There's no escaping Watercolour... it's become so popular... but have you tried painting in watercolour yourself?

I've decided to start experimenting... 

Materials vary quite greatly but the good news is you can start at the cheap end if you get hooked then splash out on that fancy paper and those amazing brushes a bit further down the track.
It is incredibly clean and fast... (unlike oils) no messy clean up... no waiting and waiting for your paint to dry...
Basically the above equates to a very low commitment level... so why not try it!


... and it is so versatile... Cases in point are this selection of talented women:

Geninne... chances are you've already encountered her beautiful and instantly identifiable work (kudos to Geninne for creating such a strong brand!)... if you want to get started, checking out her blog and her tutorials is definitely a great place to start... I really admire Geninne's ability to maintain her style across numerous and ever-changing mediums...

Felicita Sala (below) is another incredible talent.... and her work is so varied and interesting... stunning illustrations of beautiful italian recipes (that make your mouth water).... fun and colourful children's illustrations... and a bit of dabbling in her sketchbook... as you do...

Yao Cheng has quite a different style again... varying between light modern abstracts and pretty bright florals... how stunning are these colours?
Also check out this great tutorial series that she has done over on The Alison Show...

And then I saw this amazing post over on SF Girl of the Bay about Lisa Congdon's  studio...

Honestly if you're not feeling inspired to give this a go yet... you've lost me.

Okay, so I''m definitely still in the dabbling phase, but I've got to say I'm really enjoying it... I love the level of unpredictability.... that you can add more water and let colours run... bush the water and paint around with your brush... too much water, just mop it up with some paper towels...

I've started off just sampling and seeing what takes my fancy... 
It's always a bit strange starting something so new like this and finding your own style, so I'm going with: keep experimenting until if just feels right...
If you're working in watercolour, share your work, I'd love to see it!



Labels: , , , , , , ,